Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Being Married and Going Natural


So I was creating a blog list and I realized that many of the blogs that I were listing were of natural hair. So I laughed to myself, because I really could talk about my hair all day, but I'm not. I do love my hair though.

Anyways, I wanted to share this blog, because it is important for me to talk about the support my husband has given me through this process. It's important because not many men out there will acknowledge the beauty of a black woman's natural hair. Sad, I know, but it is what it is.

Before my Big Chop (BC), I had pretty long relaxed hair. My husband loves long hair, better yet my husband is pretty much happy as long as I'm happy, when it comes to things like my hair and weight (those sensitive topics he knows how to maneuver his way out of). I discussed with him that my girlfriend had been hounding me about going natural (I love you Tina) and I was starting to consider it. Surprisingly, he didn't ask why, he didn't frown, and he didn't bark off any negative remarks. He simply told me it was a good idea (those are my words not he's, but that's how I interpreted it) LOL

Well he was supposed to help me with my BC, but I was mad at him this particular day, so I did it myself. Bad move. I had put my tail between my legs and ask him if he could even out my hair. The whole time he was shaking his head and I'm biting my bottom lip. After he finished, we were both in shock (and this was the second time that I had cut all my hair off!! Shout out to Candice, April, Mae, and Ericka they helped). I asked him what he thought about it, and he said "It's different." LOL I could have passed out. But he assured me it was beautiful, but he couldn't look at me straight for about a week. I was OK with that, because he has hardly seen me with short hair. After that, he was touching my hair, rubbing his fingers through it, and taking me shopping to get products for my hair (his idea)!!! He let me know that I look good and that my hair is beautiful (my word though I'm sure he was thinking about using it). Funny, I asked him how my hair looked one afternoon; he raised an eyebrow and said 'It's just curly, really curly," I could only laugh.

When I finally bought some natural products, it didn't take him long to start dipping into it LOL He says, "You know baby, since you are doing this natural thing, it'll be good if we did it together." I almost hit the floor again, who was this man. So, needless to say I haven't been able to keep him out of my hair products. In fact, one day he was using my stuff (it's officially ours now) and then I heard him call the boys into the bathroom. I'm looking like, what in the world; yes he was using the products on the boy’s hair. I couldn't do nothing but shake my head.

It has been an interesting journey so far, with my natural hair and my husband. I thank him for being supportive about it, I'm sure he can't wait for it to get longer. I can't say that if we weren't married that he would give me a second look, it doesn't matter, because we are married and like everything else we're in it together.

1 comment:

  1. This is very sweet. I am also lucky to have such a supportive husband. We are truly blessed.

    ReplyDelete